Beef & Barley Soup
- 2 tbls vegetable oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lbs meaty beef bones (such as beef shank bones)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1x 796ml (28oz) can of tomato puree
- 5 small bay leaves
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 lge carrots, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add bones first and sauté until dark brown. Transfer bones to a plate then sauté chopped meat until dark brown before also transferring to a plate.
- Add celery, carrots and barley to pot and sauté until soft.
- Add water, beef broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and garlic powder and stir.
- Return beef and bones to pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a crack of a wooden spoon and simmer until beef is tender.*
* I actually make my soup in the morning and leave it to simmer all day.
** PHOTO TO FOLLOW… eventually**